THIS IS NOT GOOD IF YOU ARE COUNTING CALORIES. This is a good salad, a little high in calories but hey once in a while, you have to say, ok, I will indulge. I started this recipe as this was something I had in a restaurant but their version was 1000 so I did all I could to reduce it. I have a few more tricks that I will mention in closing. So let’s get to it.
- 1 package of Taco Seasoning Mix (Old El Paso)
- 1 cup of cooked black beans (if you use canned, make sure to rinse)
- 1 lb of extra lean ground beef
- 45 grams or 1.5 ounces of Cheddar Cheese (reduced fat)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 avocado
- 3 corn on the cob
- 1 cup of Salsa (Herdez Salsa)
- 1 cup of Cilantro chopped
- 2 cup of Spinach
- 2 cup of Cooked white rice
- 2 jalapeño chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Put tortilla shells in mold and cook for 10-12 minutes
- In a boiling pot of water cook corn for 10-12 minutes.
- Once cooked, rinse with cold water to stop cooking and shuck.
- In a pan, brown the ground beef and make sure to loosen.
- Add Taco mix and cook using directions on package.
- Now is assembly, shell, put in rice at bottom, put black beans, taco mixture. Then top with corn, onion, jalapeño, avocado, cheese, cilantro, spinach and salsa.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 622 each
- Fat 18.9 g
- Sugar 2.6 g
- Carbohydrates 82.8 g
- Protein 31.7 g
- Fibre 8.3 g
I started making this at home ironically because I had left over rice and thought of the salad we sometimes have at the mexican restaurant. Want to save time, everything can be prepared ahead of time. Just don’t cut your avocado until the last moment or you can use guacamole. If you want to save some calories, omit the rice at the bottom. I usually use my own salsa which is made to my taste and heat level. I’ve seen this recipe done with refried beans instead of black beans, and brown rice instead of white rice. The possibilities are endless, you can use fish, chicken, pork, completely vegetarian, beyond meat, anything. Let your imagine go, have fun and make it your own.