Protein Rice Salad
Who says salad needs to be boring? Not me. I used to say that a salad was a side not a meal, now I know better. Here is a version that I have done. It’s a great summer meal.
- 2 cups of spinach
- 1 cup shredded carrot (I use the carrot peeler to get thin strips instead of shredded)
- 1/2 cup of cooked white rice (brown rice would be better)
- 1 can of tuna
- 2 large hard boiled eggs
- 1 large red bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp of chopped green onion
- 2 ounces of cheddar cheese cubed
- 2 tbsp of apricot jam or jelly
- 1 jalapeño (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Assembly is easy. Divide everything in two. Put spinach at bottom of large bowl.
- Cover with rice.
- Spread the carrot around the bowl.
- Spread the red pepper, green onion, and jalapeño if used.
- Put the sliced egg, the ball of tuna and cubed cheese dividing the plate into thirds.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- In the centre put the apricot jam or jelly.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 436
- Fat 17.8 g
- Sugar 11.9 g
- Carbohydrates 38.9 g
- Protein 32.4 g
- Fiber 2.8 g
This salad is fun. It reminds me of summer. The ingredients are what I had on hand. I wanted to make sure that it was high in protein as I was having this after having done a workout on the treadmill. You don’t like cheddar but prefer mozzarella, use that. You want it spicy add that jalapeno. You have left over cooked chicken, use that instead of tuna. You don’t have cooked rice, you can cook some spaghettini or rice noodles. The possibilities are endless. Remember have fun and make it your own.