Carrot Cake Sandwich Cookies
Christmas time is a time for sharing. My young protege chef, sent me, as a Christmas gift, a recipe book he made. These are recipes he makes at home. This is one of them. I’m sure you will love it.
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2/3 cup of packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp of canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of grated orange rind
- 3/4 tsp of vanilla extract, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of all purpose flour (I used unbleached)
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of baking soda
- 4 ounces of low fat cream cheese
- 1 cup of powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Combine carrot, 3 tbsp of brown sugar in a bowl and toss to coat.
- Place carrot mixture in a fine mesh strainer and let drain for 10 minutes. Discard fluid.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in microwave.
- Add oil and rind to butter, 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract and egg. Whisk together.
- Combine flour, remaining brown sugar, cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Whisk together.
- Add carrot mixture, butter and stir until just combined.
- Drop dough by tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets for a total of 28 cookies. Gently pat to form circles.
- Bake for 11 minutes or until set. Let stand for 3 minutes. Remove cookies from pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Combine cream cheese, remaining 2 tbsp of butter, remaining 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract and remaining salt and beat with a mixer at medium speed for 3 minutes or until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed for 1 minute or well combined. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Spread 1 tbsp of icing on flat side of 1 cookie, top with other cookie flat side down.
- Keep refrigerated.
Nutrition Per Sandwich
- Calories 174
- Fat 7.0 g
- Sugar 18.1 g
- Carbohydrates 26.2 g
- Protein 2.2 g
- Fibre 0.7 g
I can tell you that his turned out nicer than mine. He then tells me that was why he was using a measuring tablespoon not a regular tablespoon for the measuring out of the dough. Now he tells me, lol.
I have to admit these were great. They are moist, fresh, and not overly sweet. You can add raisins if you like, or more cinnamon if that is what you want. After all, you just have to have fun and make them your own.