I was asked if I had a recipe that was low in sugar and looked good. Went digging and this is what I came up with.
- 3 cups of berries (I used raspberries)
- 2 tbsp of instant tapioca
- 1 tsp of grated lemon zest
- 5 sheets of phyllo dough thawed 12 x 17 inches
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter melted
- 2 tbsp of crushed walnuts
- 1/2 cup of greek plain yogourt
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Mix berries, tapioca and lemon zest and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Place a parchemin paper on your work surface, as this is what you will use in your baking sheet.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough and lightly butter it. (Make sure to place a damp towel on the remaining four sheets so they don’t dry out)
- Spread 1/2 tbsp of crushed walnuts on the sheet.
- Repeat three times.
- Place the last sheet over the four others.
- Spread the fruit mixture on a horizontal line approximately 2 inches from the edge and from the ends.
- Gently roll and fold the ends under.
- Place the roll with the parchemin paper on the baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet on the lowest rack.
- Cook for 18 minutes until golden brown. If it browns too quickly place a piece of foil over the top and continue baking.
- Once cooked let cool for approximately 20 minutes, serve luke warm.
- In the meantime, mix yogourt with brown sugar.
- Cut into 8 pieces and serve with yogourt on the side.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 124
- Fat 7.6 g
- Sugar 2.9 g
- Carbohydrates 12.1 g
- Protein 2.5 g
- Fibre 3.2 g
This is a refreshing dessert. It looks great (for a fancier look, lightly sprinkle some icing sugar over the top). It is low in sugar, a great dessert for diabetics. You can vary the fruits inside. Berries work great as they don’t need extra sugar. Like I always say, have fun and make it your own.