Sebreena’s Pie Crust
Pie crusts. Who hasn’t had a need for some. Well I tried making them once and they could have been used as weapons. Never did that again. A couple of days ago, I wanted to make Tourtiere a.k.a Meatpie, see this link. My recipe makes two meatpies. So off I go downstairs to the freezer and oh oh, I only have one package of 2 frozen pie shells. Stores are closed. Now what??? I asked a friend, who makes great flaky pies if she was willing to share her recipe. Here it is.
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces divided, 3/4 and 1/4
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of sugar
- 1/2 cup of ice water
- Layout 3/4 of the butter pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze until hard, at least 30 minutes. Refrigerate remaining butter.
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a food processor.
- Add refrigerated butter and pulse to combine, about 10 times.
- Add frozen butter and pulse until mixture resembles course meal, with some blueberry size clumps.
- Add ice water, and immediately pulse until water is absorbed about 10 times. Squeeze a small amount of dough to make sure it holds together. Pulse a few more times if needed.
- Layout 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Empty half of the dough onto each piece Bring edges of wrap together to gather dough. Press into disks.
- Roll out disk, still wrapped in plastic, to 1/2 inch thick rounds about 9 inches in diameter.
- Refrigerate at least 45 minutes.
Note, I’m not including the baking time, as it will depend on the recipe you are using this pie dough for.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 690
- Fat 46.8 g
- Sugar 8.3 g
- Carbohydrates 60.4 g
- Protein 8.75 g
- Fibre 4.1 g
This dough can be refrigerated for 2 days or frozen up to a month. Now I must reiterate what Sebreena made sure I understood. ICE WATER and FROZEN BUTTER are key to success. She told me that once I’ve succeeded in making this, I would never go back to frozen pie shells. You know what, she was right. As you see in the pic, the ones on the left are her recipe and the ones on the right are the frozen pie shells. I was intimidated on trying this but I will be making these going forward. This is the one time that I will not tell you to make it your own. What you put inside is where you can get creative, have fun and make it your own.