Easy Caramel Sauce
Homemade caramel sauce is so simple, you’ll never want store bought again. Although isn’t that true of most homemade recipes.
- 1 cup of light brown sugar packed
- 4 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1 tsp of sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup of half and half or use equal parts of heavy cream and milk
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and simmer over low heat, whisking constantly or until thickened and no longer watery, 6-9 minutes. (Keep in mind that it will thicken as it cools.
- Serve warm, room temperature or chilled.
Nutrition Per Tablespoon
- Calories 89
- Fat 3 g
- Sugar 13 g
- Carbohydrates 13g
- Protein 3.6 g
- Fibre 0 g
If you use salted butter, reduce salt by 1/2. You can keep in the fridge for about 2 weeks. You can pop in the micro for 30 seconds to heat it up. As you can see in the pictures, I didn’t have light brown sugar, I only had dark, works just as well, just doesn’t look as traditional.
Now comes the fun part, what you can put this on. I have heard, apple pie, of course ice cream, in coffee, as a drizzle over cheesecake. The choice is yours and remember to have fun and make it your own.