Maple-Sweetened Banana Muffins
These whole wheat maple sweetened banana muffins are easy to make, with basic ingredients, one bowl and moist. Don’t tell anyone but they are healthy too.
- 1/3 cup of vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 2 eggs, preferable at room temperature
- 1 cup of mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, plus a little more for sprinkling on top
- 1-3/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup of rolled oats, plus a little more for sprinkling on top
- 1 tsp granulated sugar or brown sugar, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven at 325. Grease your muffin tin if necessary. I use silicon muffin liners in my pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well. Mix in the mashed bananas and milk, followed by the baking soda, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon.
- Add flour and oats to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined. (this is where you would add in any additional ingredients, that make it your own)
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffins. (I use an ice-cream scoop filled and it works out pretty good)
- Top with sugar, extra oats and cinnamon.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until cake tester or toothpick come out clean from centre.
- Place on cooling rack to cool. These muffins will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the fridge for 4-7 days. You can also freeze them in a freezer bag for up to 3 months (just defrost individual muffins as needed).
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 208
- Sugar 12.6 g
- Carbohydrates 33 g
- Protein 4.5 g
- Fiber 3.4 g
- Fat 7.6 g
Serving suggestions: these muffins are great on their own, or with a pat of butter, or peanut butter. You can have them cold or slightly heated in the micro for no more than 30 seconds.
This is where you can fun. Your add-ins are your creation. You could fold in up to 3/4 cup of chocolate chips, chopped dried fruit including cranberries, cystalized ginger and or chopped nuts. You could put a topping like cream cheese icing or maple glaze. It’s all up to you but remember to have fun and make it your own.