Gouda Mac ’N’ Cheese
A young chef (OSM) asked me if we could try this recipe together. Who doesn’t like Mac ’N Cheese? I said sure, why not. This turned out pretty good. We adjusted from the original recipe to reduce the fat content. This was made with left over cooked chicken.
- 2 1/2 cups of cooked chicken (1.5 lbs)
- 1 1/2 cups of frozen peas (thawed)
- 5 ounces of Gouda grated (just under 1 cup)
- 3 ounces of Sharp Cheddar grated (1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped spinach
- 2 avocados smashed
- 1/4 cup of light margarine
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of milk (used nonfat)
- 1/4 cup of panko
- 1 lb of macaroni (454 g)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parmesean grated or shaved to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a large deep dish baking dish
- Cook macaroni until al dente and set aside in a very large bowl.
- Add chicken, avocado and peas. Stir well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place margarine in skillet, add flour and make a roux. Whisk until smooth.
- Add milk and chicken broth, keep stirring so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of skillet until thickened.
- Add the cheeses and stir until melted. (if sauce is too thick, add a little broth)
- Add in chicken, veggie and pasta and stir well to coat the pasta.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Sprinkle the panko on top evenly and add Parmesean if desired.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 567
- Fat 23 g
- Sugar 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates 54.3 g
- Protein 43.3 g
- Fibre 4.9 g
You can serve this with a nice salad. If you don’t have cooked chicken, you could use cooked turkey and if all else fails, use drained canned tuna. If you want some spice to it, add some cayenne or hot sauce. This recipe has so many possibilities. You can change the cheeses, the protein, the spices, so it’s all up to you. Have fun and make it your own.
2 thoughts on “Gouda Mac ’N’ Cheese”
This looks so creamy!
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] April 2, 2022 at 1:21 PM | Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment Gouda Mac ’N’ Cheese — It all started with a bite […]