Stovetop Apple Pie Filling
Who hasn’t gone to the store and bought apples that looked so great and by the end of the week, oops, that was too many. I know I have, more than once. I hate wasting food. Too many people go hungry everyday for us to waste good food. I do my best to extend the life of food. Here is an easy recipe that is delicious, quick, and versatile.
- 6-8 medium apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tbsp of water
- 2 tbsp of butter (salted)
- 1-2 tsp of vanilla extract (to taste)
- 2 tbsp of water and 1 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1/2 tbsp of Cinnamon
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Melt butter with cinnamon over medium heat.
- Add apples, sugar and water.
- Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes, or until slightly softened.
- In a small dish, combine cornstarch with 2 tbsp of water.
- Add to the pan and bring to boil and stir until thickened.
- Let bubble 1 minute.
- Let cool.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 88
- Fat 1.9 g
- Sugar 16.1 g
- Carbohydrates 18.8 g
- Protein 0 g
- Fibre 2.6 g
This is the equivalent of 1 can of apple pie filling. This recipe is so versatile, you will buy extra apples just to make this. You can use it as a topper on oatmeal, yogourt, ice cream, add a bit of granola and it becomes a great snack, or heck you can use it in a pie crust too. So many possibilities for you to have fun and make it your own.
2 thoughts on “Stovetop Apple Pie Filling”
Definitely trying that. Love apple pie. So why not over something else.