Sunflower and Flax Seed Whole Wheat Bread
I started with white bread, moved up to whole wheat and now I’ve graduated to healthy multigrain bread. I’m having fun with bread. Who knew that making bread that you don’t need to kneed would be fun.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 2 1/4 cups of water (120-130 degrees Fahrenheit or 50-55 Celsius)
- 1/3 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup of flax seeds (whole)
- Vegetable oil spray
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast together. At this time you can add the sunflower and flax seeds and stir them around a bit.
- Pour water into the bowl and using a spatula mix in until it’s all incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit on your counter for 12 to 20 hours.
- After rise time, spray an 18×12 inch sheet of parchment paper on counter with vegetable spray. Set aside.
- On clean floured counter use your cupped hands to drag dough in small circles to form smooth ball.
- Preheat oven at 425 and place dutch oven as your oven heats up (approximately 10 min)
- Transfer ball to centre of greased parchment sheet. Use parchment to lower dough into Dutch oven (let extra parchment hang over pot edges) Cover pot with lid and put back in oven for 30 minutes
- Remove lid and put back in until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place on cooling rack to cool.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 213
- Fat 0.374 g
- Sugar 0.31 g
- Carbohydrates 39.21 g
- Protein 7.57 g
- Fibre 5.1 g
Trick for yeast, make sure your water is hot enough but not too hot. Yeast is a living organism. Also got to find out that one of my issues with yeast was that I stored it in the cupboard next to the stove. Guess what, big mistake. I was killing it with the heat. Lessons learned.
Making this bread reminded me that with patience anything in the kitchen can be conquered. Seriously, this bread is so easy to make and it is good too. You add other seeds, just make sure to keep that in calorie count. I’m open to suggestions so help me with this. Have fun and make it your own.
4 thoughts on “Sunflower and Flax Seed Whole Wheat Bread”
This bread was so easy to make. Took me 17 minutes to prepare. It is a dense and hearty bread. My son and I ate a third at breakfast. It was fresh out of the oven. Y’all have to try it.
[…] makes it pretty. Serve it with rice, vegetables, pasta, delicious homemade multigrain bread (see recipe) and/or a salad. Be creative. Have fun and remember to make it your […]
[…] as a main course and it made 6 bowls. You can serve it with a nice sunflower and flax seed bread (see recipe), white bread (see recipe) or country biscuits (see […]
[…] As a main course, use two servings. You can serve it with a nice sunflower and flax seed bread (see recipe), white bread (see recipe) or country biscuits (see recipe). You can use this as a base for a […]