Orange Chiffon Cake
I was asked for a recipe that is light not only in calories but also in texture. Something that felt like summer. This is what I came up with. Hope you like it.
This cake is refreshing. It is low caloric and sweet. First time I made a chiffon cake. I had fun and made it my own. Your turn to do the same.
- 1 cup of cake flour (if you don’t have any, all purpose flour will do, minus 2 tbsp and add 2 tbsp of cornstarch)
- 8 tbsp of a mixture of sucralose and sugar. (if you want to use sugar only that’s ok just remember to add that to the calories and sugar content per serving)
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp of grated orange zest (approx 2 oranges)
- 3/4 cup of orange juice freshly pressed
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
- 1 tsp of brandy or orange liquor (optional)
- 6 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar
- 2 oz of semi-sweet chocolate
- Cooking spray or butter and margarine and 1-2 tbsp of flour to coat pan
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, 6 tbsp of the sucralose-sugar mixture, baking powder, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, add eggs, oil, zest, orange juice, brandy to the flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl, using clean blades on medium, beat egg whites and cream of tartare until soft peaks. Bring speed up to high and add remaining sucralose-sugar until it forms stiff peaks.
- Using a spatula, slowly fold in the egg mixture to the flour mixture until blended.
- Pour into a very lightly greased and floured bundt pan. Cook for 50-55 min or until cake tester comes out clean. (Make sure not to open oven door during first 45 minutes)
- Reverse onto a parchemin covered plate after cooled completely.
- Cut chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl that goes in the microwave. Stir every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Pour over cooled cake and cut and serve.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 165
- Fat 7 g
- Sugar 15 g
- Carbohydrates 22 g
- Protein 4.0 g
- Fibre 1.0 g
Note: if you are using a nonstick pan, some people recommend not greasing and flouring others say it’s imperative. First time I did it, I didn’t flour the pan just greased it and it stuck. Also make sure to let it cool completely before unmolding or else it will break.
Instead of melted chocolate, you can always add your favourite coulis. Remember have fun and make it your own.
One thought on “Orange Chiffon Cake”
We made this and I recommend chocolate sauce or Coulis as it hardens too much but the cake is great. Try it.