Cold weather is upon us. Comfort food is a must. I love seeing the leaves turning colours, cooler nights for sleep, but salads get pushed aside for cozier foods. Here is one of them.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves or 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 19 ounce can (540ml) of chopped tomatoes
- 10 oz can (284 ml) tomato soup (preferably sodium reduced)
- 1 tsp worchestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups of low sodium beef broth (I use campbell)
- 3 medium carrots peeled and sliced (relatively thin)
- 1 cup chopped cabbage
- In a large pot or dutch oven, brown the meat and drain off excess fat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook on low heat until onions are tender.
- Add tomatoes, tomato soup, worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving
- Calories 122
- Fat 4.8 g
- Sugar 5 g
- Carbohydrates 8.5 g
- Protein 11.2 g
- Fibre 1.7 g
This is an easy soup that is both nutritious and low calorie. It can be served as an appetizer or as a main course. We had it as a main course and it made 6 bowls. You can serve it with a nice sunflower and flax seed bread (see recipe), white bread (see recipe) or country biscuits (see recipe).
Overall, it was a nice comfort food for a cooler night. If you want it spicy, you can add a little cayenne pepper to taste. You can add extra veggies like frozen corn. Possibilities are endless, so have fun and make it your own.